City Council meeting 24Wednesday, June 6,
Recap of this morning:
A bunch of councillors throwing hissy fits over the injustice of paying 5¢ for a plastic bag in a perfect microcosm of how conservative governments dismantle themselves by becoming so inefficient they’re not worth having around.
How this got started:
Berardinetti proposed having businesses donate the proceeds from the plastic bag fee to suitable groups, like environmental organizations.
This wasn’t a total dick move, so other people on the Executive Committee added a bit about rescinding the fee altogether.
(So wait, you may say. Are they proposing to get rid of the fee and donating the profits from the fee, in the same motion? Isn’t that kind of confusing? Yes, yes it is.)
And then Perruzza floated the idea of going in the other direction and banning plastic bags (as some cities have done), which made everyone freak the fuck out.
Ridonkulous arguments floated so far:
- Scrapping the bag fee kills jobs at plastic recycling plants (Del Grande)
- Dog poop!!1!!11 (Lindsay Luby)
- If fee proceeds are donated to charity, people will buy EVEN MORE bags (Shiner)
- Grocery stores aren’t giving out paper bags, so… (Di Giorgio?)
- The bag fee is bankrupting corner stores and enriching big chains like Loblaws
As I type, the debate is still going on. FUCK EVERYTHING I’M GOING OUTSIDE.
One thought on “Diary of a councilspotter: Plastic bags”